Sunday, July 16, 2017

day 43 - Kenai

Saturday July 15th – day 43 – Kenai

Deanna and Amanda stayed at camp and then visited Kenai’s Saturday Market at the Kenai Visitors & Cultural Center.  Travis and I headed to Moose Creek access point along the Kenai River. Though a couple other guys were catching fish here and there, Travis and I missed out, but feel like we’re getting closer on the “technique” used to catch red (sockeye) salmon.

For dinner, we went to a fundraiser for the local radio (NPR) station for $5 burger and beers.  $30 to feed the family wasn’t bad, but it was funny to see each of the kids feeling uncomfortable being in a “tavern” environment. The bar layout (and clientele) were eerily similar to the Riverbottom Bar back in the college days at UT Arlington with Shon.

A couple things I’ve decided that I miss from home in TX: 
·         Mexican food – here I’ll provide a couple points of reference to show how badly this area needs “quality” Mexican food
o   While at a local farmers market in Homer last week, a lady selling “picante” sauce had 4 samples for testing.  The “mild” version tasted very “Italian” to me, and I mentioned it to the proprietor when she asked how it was.  She said “YES!  I use oregano in the sauce”.  She was bragging as if this was a tremendous innovation in the world of picante. I looked on as if she’d just confessed to mass murder (of an entire food group).
o   I ran into a guy from McKinney of all places. He took his wife out for Mexican at “Acapulcos” the other night, saying “momma wants her margarita”.  When I asked him how it was afterwards, he said “they don’t sell actual margaritas, but you can order one IN A CAN”.  Oofa.  How does this happen?

·         Good toilet paper – we’re staying at RV parks, so all of them stock the “John Wayne” series of TP.  This makes me miss the “good stuff” Deanna stocks at the house, and for that matter, the standard issue we get at work. You just don’t know what you got, til it’s gone….


On a side note, I turned 44 today, and did so in Kenai, Alaska. That’s pretty cool. Deanna cooked brownies for a celebratory dessert. 
Happy Birthday to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment